Biography of Ellsworth Evan Closs
January 1909-September 2000
Ellsworth Evan Closs, son of Evan and Jennie (Jones) Closs, was born January 3, 1909 on a farm south of Wymore, which was homesteaded by his grandfather in the late 1870’s. Ellsworth lived his entire life on this farm and had a great love for the land.
Ellsworth was the first baby baptized at the Bethel Welsh Church, located about 5 miles south of Wymore on Hwy 77. He attended Pleasant View School, District #81, and graduated from Wymore High School in 1926. He married Hazel Jenkins on April 24, 1938.
He was bilingual, speaking both Welsh and English, and was the last Welsh speaking person in Gage County. He loved music and he and his brother, Maldwyn, sang at many functions throughout Gage County. He was also a member of the local community band.
Ellsworth was very proud of his Welsh heritage. He and his wife, Hazel, visited the land of his ancestors three times, one time accompanied by their grandson, Tony Colgrove. The family interred some of Ellsworth’s ashes in the Ancient Church of Nant Peris in North Wales. He leaves to carry on his Welsh legacy, Hazel, his son Stanley, daughter Gwenith Colgrove and her husband, Gary; four grandchildren Christie and Cathy Closs, Tony Colgrove and his wife, Ann, and Nathan Colgrove; two great grandsons, Tristan and Gabriel Colgrove.
Through the generosity of his family, Ellsworth’s memorial was donated to the Welsh Heritage Project, which has since become the Great Plains Welsh Heritage Project. Many thanks to the Closs family for their generosity and support.